Thread: Should I?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by kyles View Post
I don't know if I'm ready to open up all those emotions I've been trying to push away for a while.
I completely understand that hesitation.

My EXAH called me in 1989 (I had left him in 1986 after I successfully completed inpatient rehab and relocated).

He was in an outpatient program (court-ordered) and they were going to have a family night. For whatever reason, there were no family members of his able to participate, so I reluctantly agreed to come.

I found myself in a large room where all of the people required to attend were parolees. I was very uncomfortable, and when I was asked if I had anything to say in regard to EXAH's addiction and how it had affected me, I shut down. I just said being there was uncomfortable and I had nothing to say.

My mind was racing all the way home because I was having flashbacks to the hell I used to live in with him. It was so overwhelming, and there I was, 3 years after leaving him and I still had all that crap buried deep within.

It took me years and years to finally deal with all of the emotions from that marriage. I did it on my time, and with people I trusted and who genuinely cared for me.

Be gentle with yourself, and not going is always an option for you, dear.

Sending you hugs of support!