Thread: Time to live..
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Halzuzu

Time to live..

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community and wanted to introduce myself and share my story. I have been surrounded by alcoholism my entire life. grandparents, parents, siblings, friends...me. I am currently 4 days sober.

I started experimenting with alcohol in my teens. My drinking was pretty social/moderate all through my 20's but started spiraling out of control about 7-8 years ago. I am currently 38. A few drinks with friends on the weekends turned into a few drinks with friends and by myself, a few weeknights turned into every weeknight, every morning, everyday all day. I was drinking anywhere from a 1/2 pint to a fifth almost everyday with a day or two off every now and then.

I have crashed my car into a pole, blacked out all the time, premiscous sex with people I didnt remember in the morning, passed out, sometimes injuring myself in the process (head wounds, gashed, etc).

My bottom was this last weekend. I was supposed to meet my family for dinner but I never made it. My sister becamse concerned and she and my step mother came to my house, found me passed out on the living room with nothing but a bath towel wrapped around me. I am assuming i was headed for a shower or bath. Thank goodness that I didnt pass out in the bath or get in the car to drive. I was so ashamed and knew my family was disappointed. That was it..I could not..would not do this anymore.

I am just getting over the withdrawels. mostly mild and moderate. I was afraid it would be worse but today I feel pretty good. I had forgotten what it felt like to NOT be hungover. I am attending my first AA meeting tomorrow and looking forward to it. I have kept a log of how I have felt these last few days. Good and bad and I titled it "Read this when you are tempted to fall off the wagon"

Sorry this is so long. This community has been really helpful the last few days.
Thank you for reading.