Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lizatola

Cali, this sounds exactly like what my AH went through after his DUI. The remorse stage only lasts a few weeks. Then it turns into the anger phase. I got major blameshifting at that point and he, of course, blamed the system and was angry at the world, in general.

I always had suspicions that he would drink again, mainly because he wasn't working a program but also because he still had stuff hidden in his closet that he never threw out after the DUI. Pretty much told me what his intentions were despite the words that came out of his mouth. Sure enough, he was drinking about a month or so after the DUI but I didn't actually find proof of it until about 3 months after. I had kept my distance from him and started detaching after the DUI because I realized he was on a slippery slope and I didn't want to go down with him. I also threw myself into Al Anon meetings and got myself a sponsor, best thing I ever did FOR ME. My AH did jail time, had 11 days of home detention, and has to have his ignition interlock(breathalyzer) on his car for 18 months because his BAC was
so high. None of this stopped him from drinking and he still continues to drink(well, he was about 3 weeks ago, I don't know about right now). Anyway, my point is that you need to take care of you and decided if you want to go down with the ship or if you want to hang on. If you want to hang on, then I suggest you buckle up tight because it will be quite a ride and you'll need all the tools of Al Anon for YOU. Remember, you have choices and it's OK to be wrong sometimes. It's also OK to wait things out and just see what time reveals. Be gentle on yourself, you only have 1 life to live.