View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rubysoho

Right reasons for quitting?

Hi
I'm 8 weeks sober now. And I'm having ups and downs, but recently I've been doing ok.
I'm working through some questions with a friend which is a guide to step 1 of AA.

I'm stuck on a questions:
'How did you know that 'now' was the time you needed to quit?'

I didn't really have a rock bottom. I've put my life in danger so often. I had what I would call my 'rock bottom' last summer, but then I carried on drinking for 1 year afterwards. I don't know why 'now' I have decided to quit. My body stopped being able to cope with the booze and pills. I was in pain all the time, I was a mess. But even so, I was like that for a while before I decided to change. I only grudgingly went for an assessment thinking, I can always change my mind. In the end my body made my decision for me, I was so so ill all the time. I couldn't even walk for 10 minutes (I was 27 8 weeks ago, so that's obviously not a good level of health). If I could have carried on drinking I would still be drinking. I know I would have ended up in a box, but it's the truth.
So I'm finding this question really really hard.

Does anyone have a similar experience, or reason for quitting? I think my reason is quite flimsy, and I probably need a stronger reason?

Thanks for your help x