View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DonW79

Is My Friend Killing Himself?

I recently moved in with my good friend of about 10 years. In the time I've known him, I've really seen his health and well-being take a turn for the worse. I met him when he was a 20-year-old outgoing guy who weighed about 200 pounds, and now he's a 30-year-old shut-in who weighs 300-400 pounds.

Aside from his expanding waistline, what worries me most is his drinking. I've kept track: aside from two days of sobriety, he's been drinking every single day since September 4th. EVERY DAY for like a month and a half. And I'm definitely not talking one or two beers, but maybe half or 3/4ths of a 1.75L bottle of vodka each night. He has to drink A LOT to get drunk, and he gets drunk daily.

Now, as far as I know, he doesn't have any physical signs of addiction. He doesn't get the shakes, or even bad hangovers. He seems to have no adverse physical reaction if he takes a day off drinking. However, I have heard him vomiting quite a bit lately, at least every few days if not more.

I guess my question is: how worried should I be? I grew up with an alcoholic mother, and I watched her health slowly deteriorate until she died of a heart attack in her 50s. Am I watching the same thing happen again?

I guess I ignored this for awhile because his drinking seemed "fun", like the kind of normal party-time drinking young people do. It's not fun anymore. The weight gain, the vomiting, drinking alone, the endless empty bottles of vodka, and he can barely seem to stay awake for more than a few hours a day. What sort of health risks should I be concerned about?