View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Personality Type and Recovery

AVRT makes sense to me.
I understand that all that should be necessary is the ability to recognize addictive desire as separate from "me" and realize that "I" am the one who is in charge of my actions.

And yet I struggled.

I've always thought of myself as a rational, thinking being with big feelings. Indeed, my coworkers value my analytical thought processes and my loved ones are in turns amused by and irritated by my precision with language. ("Why do you have to restate what I say?" "Because I want to make sure I understand what you just said.")

I recently took the Myers Briggs personality assessment at work and was FLOORED to find that I was rated INFP. I mean, I always knew I was full of feelings, but I seriously thought I was going to rate high on the T (thinking) and/or J (judging/discerning from fact) scales.

So I said, "Oh, the day I took that test I was emotionally frazzled and in a rush." Both things were true. So I let some time go by, pondered, and read about this personality and how I supposedly interact with the world, with others and with the world. And you know... it sounded kinda right.

The other day, I was feeling strong and confident and said "Let me take one of these free online assessments. Do it quick without thinking while I feel more like myself. (That'll show me I am who I think I am!) And it came out... essentially the same - INFJ with only a moderate preference for J.

So here's the thing.

AVRT is surgically precise.
Make a committment, recognize the AV in your thoughts and you will neutralize the beast.
I love that. It's rational. It cuts out the crap. It makes sense to me.

And yet, I wasn't feeling it. (interesting phrasing, I noticed reading back)
Couldn't segregate me from it.

At the risk of sounding like I believe I'm unique, I believe I am unique.
This doesn't provide me with an excuse or immunity, it just explains (to me) that for some people maybe reason isn't enough. Maybe personality has something to do with how each of us approaches and utilizes AVRT (or any other method to get over addiction).

I spose ISTPs might think I'm full of it (the beast/AV), but being who they are, they wouldn't get it. We all gotta be who we are.