View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Courtenay

Question Boyfriend in Rehab

I have been reading posts on this forum for a year and a half now and figured its finally time to make my own post. My boyfriend of almost 2 years has been addicted to oxycotin and other opiates for 3 years or so. I found out about 6 months into our relationship and didnt really understand. I did a lot of research and realized how awful the stuff was and told him something has to change. For the rest of our relationship up til now it has been him trying to quit, failing, trying again, staying sober then failing, repeat, repeat. He finally was seeing a doctor that prescribed him suboxone and said he must stay on it for 2 months even though my bf wanted to taper down. while he was on suboxone his mom found it at his place and offered him rehab. like i said he had been trying to quit for a very long time and this was the perfect out so he was super excited about going!
hes now been there for 2 weeks and i miss him terribly but know that its exactly where he needs to be. he calls almost every day and i got to visit him yesterday, which was amazing. today was his first day of totally sobriety (after they tapered him off of the suboxone). What he is really struggling with (and I am myself) is the fact that he must stay sober for the rest of his life. by this i dont mean off of oxys or other opiates i mean the fact that he can never drink again. Since ive known him he's never been a big drinker, ive only ever seen him get drunk once in our 2 years together. My mom was an alcoholic (sober for 10 years now) so i understand alcoholism quite well as well and i just dont think he has ever struggled with it.. but maybe he has and was only not drinking because he was on drugs?
Im wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this problem? Maybe its for the best that he never drinks again cause he may associate it with the drugs but we were planning on going on vacation to hawaii or mexico when he got back as a relaxation trip for both of us and i just find it hard to comprehend that he cant ever have one drink. this may seem like a dumb question but is this how every addict must live their life?