View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whatsgoingon

Does staying sober become normal?

Morning All, or afternoon depending on where you are!

I'm new to the sober lifestyle but so far so good. This Thursday I will be at 5 weeks. Not drinking is starting feel ok, I don't think about it much or look for it. I get the odd challenge here and there but overall I'm quite surprised at how I have adapted to the change. It helps being in a healthy environment at home where my wife hardly drinks at all and my kids remind me everyday why I should stay sober.

I notice there are posters on here who have been sober 1,2 or even 10 years. How does that feel? When you reach 2 years sober does it feel totally normal not to drink. Do you ever doubt yourself? Do you ever feel the urge to drink?

I used to smoke cigarettes and gave them up about 4 years ago. Every now and then I still get the urge to have a cigarette. It generally passes but if I'm in certain situation (which funny enough don't happen anymore!) like out with friends having a drink then I sometimes get tempted but I never give in. Is that what it's like to be long term sober? Do you still, now and then, get a craving?

Just wondering.