View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

Wow, what an interesting discussion. A great question Tammy, and I see you've already received some great answers. You sound like you are coming along very well. I see you only getting stronger and surer, just as the others have described.

I'm glad to see this discussion for another reason, too. It touches on a topic someone else recently raised on another thread. The person—who's been well served by another approach to recovery, and is understandably enthusiastic in championing it—mused in a post about people who come to SR, discover AVRT, say they're doing great, and then disappear. He said something vaguely ominous like, "I always wonder what happened to them."

That was actually an aside in a wider discussion, which I guess hit a few nerves, as the mods shut down the thread before I had a chance to reply. Darn it! Probably just as well, lol...

Anyway, what I wanted to say then is what others have already touched on here: The disappearance of AVRT users from SR is a sign of success, not failure. What happened to them? They made a Big Plan. They don't need SR anymore. Those who do stick around, do it for other reasons. I've been impressed how many people on the AVRT threads speak of them the way Freshstart just did—as a source of information and inspiration for others who stumble upon AVRT here (the way many of us did). I still come here mostly because I'm intellectually curious about addiction, and maybe a little sentimental about the forums, too. SR helped me. Big. Time.

But I'm coming up on two years sober in December, and I find myself spending less and less time here. If I disappeared tomorrow, people should feel free to wonder if I was run over by a bus, or indicted by a grand jury, or abducted by time-traveling dwarves, but no one should ever waste a second wondering if I'm still sober.

Thanks again for posting!