View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
LivingGoodLife

Thank you Floss for this "and now that I'm 'clean' of my addiction to alcoholic partners"... I have 12 years sober and ended up in a Long Distance Relationship relationship with a very successful active alcoholic/work-aholic for 9 months... I always felt alone and waiting for him to show up emotionally but he would tell me that he liked his repressed feeling right where they are... I, myself, need to deal with my emotions on a daily basis because I am sober. I became addicted to his unavailability (just as my father was when I was growing up). I never felt safe or secure in the relationship regardless of what he said until finally I walked in on him perusing match.com profiles to which he denied after switching the screen... I could never handle being lied to and be able to remain sober so I needed to end it and am dealing with the emotional hangover from that... active alcoholics are able to numb themselves which gives you only half a person... a facade... I really needed to learn that I cannot be with an active alcoholic... but I think I already knew that...