View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
makeabigplan

Brilliant post, thanks for that.

It's amazing that all the internal dialogue I've gone through these past few months has made me blind to the fact that I'm actually worrying about being in a situation as relaxing as being on holiday. I needed to hear that!

I have read Allen Carr's books, by the way and that (if you haven't read it/them) focuses on the fact that alcohol robs you of the true pleasures of life.

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble
Alcohol keeps me from enjoying life's pleasures
I completely get what you mean about that. Although I do work extremely hard (I run my own business so don't work regular hours) I am lucky enough to work a job I enjoy and have more work than I can handle (not bad given the economic climate). I have a good family life, a house and loads of good hobbies. I've thought for ages now that the only thing wrong with my life is that I drink.

In spite of that, I think of quitting for good right now and already in my stomach I feel a knot that tells me, never say never, you absolutely cannot not drink on that holiday. I can see why 12-steppers mistakenly see this “disease” (note the quotation marks) as powerful, cunning and baffling. From my side of the fence it kind of seems that way. Again, I know this is AV but right now the Beast is puffing itself up such that it seems like a formidable opponent.