View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Athena1

almost definitely?! that's a new one...hmmmmm is that like "kinda pregnant"?
More like almost sure, or almost positive. I dunno..."around 90% or more sure"?

No need. Thanks. I'm familiar with what the evidence shows and I agree with much of what you said. My statement to you was in response to your postings about elaborate rules you have set up surrounding moderating your drinking. It sounds like you got this, so that's great.
Groovy!

There is, however, some evidence to show that once pathways in the brain have been "opened/learned" that the brain does not forget them, making re-addiction after abstinence very likely in most cases.
Well, sure. But that's all behaviors, whether you've reduced/modified or abstained. (Certain abstinence only treatment programs appear to make a lot of people drink even more than they did before going in, although I highly doubt RR would have that effect, in spite of the lack of evidence either way besides 100% positive anecdotes. Which is really impressive on its own, really. Of course, RR is selective, in that it's a matter of choice. If someone doesn't really want to stop, they won't go with the big plan till they decide it's time to. )

You must have me confused with someone else. I have neither the time nor the inclination to "persuade" you to quit drinking. Your life is yours

I was mostly referring to this:

It's not sustainable. You (ahem...your AV) may choose to disagree with me, but it simply is not sustainable over a lifetime for the addicted.
I was just sayin', most of the addicted actually just drink less or quit over time, either by conscious decision or natural growing up or whatever (what those mysterious self-curing people are doing hasn't ever been studied to my knowledge. It would be interesting to know how many just lose interest, or create rules to be able to stay functional/happy/etc, or what.)