View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PerhapsLove

Daughter detoxing from heroin

My 32-y.o. daughter moved away from her ex-boyfriend, an active heroin addict, over the weekend. She rented a room in a house close to where her ex-husband and daughter live. She seemed better than I've seen her in a long time, but I didn't realize she, too, was addicted to heroin. She dropped out of contact yesterday, except for 2 very brief calls. I was worried that she had started drinking, but finally this morning she called. When I asked if she was drinking she said "no". I asked if she was withdrawing from drugs and she said "yes". She didn't want us to know she had been using drugs, but my husband especially was suspicious of that. She said she wants to get through this, and then continue on with her plan to rebuild her life.

My concern is whether it is safe for her to detox on her own. We offered to be with her, but she doesn't want us to see her like this. Also, I know she will need help afterward. She's been to rehab for her alcoholism 5 times. Do we insist that she go again, or will it be enough to go to meetings?

Oddly enough, I am relieved that she at least told me the truth. Now I know what we are dealing with. I may be naive, but it also makes me think she really does want to get better.