View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Athena1

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
There is one way to deal with addictive desire that makes everything very simple. No rules, no restrictions, just self empowerment. Choose to quit and never drink again, and then act on your choice. Take it off the table and shut the door, lock it, throw away the key.

Believe you can do this, because you can.
I know that this is true.
When I was 18, I was a total pot junkie. I know that's not supposed to happen with marijuana (and I have friends who smoke pot who that hasn't happened to) but I was, like, totally cracked out on pot. I smoked pot first thing in the morning (before even getting up to pee!) smoked pot all day, and it was the last thing I did before going to bed.

I knew it made me stupid, so I decided to quit. The end. I don't smoke pot anymore. haven't for about 15 years now.

I know I could make that choice with alcohol and it would work out the same (I don't drink enough to need medical detox. ) I've taken months and years long breaks from drinking and didn't find it terribly difficult. (I've taken many breaks for months before just to reduce my tolerance and give my liver a rest and prevent medical-detox-level dependency.)

The hedonist in me just doesn't want to make the choice. I like euphoria. I'd do MDMA once a month if MDMA still worked on me (I'm not sure if MDMA just quit working on me or if the real stuff just doesn't exist in my city anymore.) I'd do other drugs if they didn't destroy lives with frightening speed.

I just....don't want to make that decision.