View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

what you call yourself really doesn't matter. if alcohol is detrimental to your life, if you can't control the way you use it, if you feel your life is better of with you not drinking it then commit your life to abstaining it and adopt a sober lifestyle. most of us need the outside support of a sober community to maintain that sobriety because we are social creatures and who we hang around will reflect in our lifestyle. now, if that means you're and alcoholic, then sure, you're an alcoholic. i don't let the label define me. i'm defined by how i live my life. perhaps your friend is a little touchy because your change of lifestyle has caused him to reflect on his and perhaps question it. it's something that many of us have had happen to us. old drinking buddies suddenly take offense to our change of lifestyle. it makes them uncomfortable. perhaps they think we are now judging them and looking down on them. perhaps they are now forced to ask themselves questions they don't want to ask. perhaps they are afraid of you changing and that changing the friendship. we cannot know and it is not for us to delve into. all you can do is stick to your decision and walk forward with the knowledge and faith that what you are doing is right for you. if it causes other people discomfort, that is for them to deal with and sort out for themselves. hi Sel! i'm Lisa. i'm an alcoholic. but more importantly, i'm living a sober lifestyle and it's working out. glad to see you on SR!