View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Yes, except for serious medical conditions...but, I also personally think drugs are over-prescribed both for physical and emotional pain. I am not trying to start a debate here, just stating my personal opinion.

My culture in particular (western culture) tends toward the misconception that one should be "happy" at all times. Being down or uncomfortable at times is a perfectly normal response to the flow of life...but we are taught anything but. At the first sign of discomfort it's run, hide, numb...anything to not experience it. I think this mindset robs us of important processes, and that's why so many of us remain "stuck".

Many of our (western) doctors or other "experts" do not push hard enough the importance of diet, exercise, sleep, and meditation, and the idea of sitting with discomfort and allowing it to pass.

Our culture is very "other-reliant" as opposed to "self-reliant". We are fooling ourselves if we think the collective beast mentality doesn't loom large. It does.
Well, I'm very much in agreement with all you've said. I'm all for doing our best without additional medications. However, when our best, relatively speaking, does not suffice, then medications can of course, and should be used, and no shaming or complex guilt/failure baggage needs to be attached, I'm sure you agree.

I really practice myself what I'm talking about here: I use meditation daily to sit with my discomforts. To be honest, not all challenges can be passed into nothingness. Some challenges simply must be endured, and in the endurance is found additional strengths and a new resource which otherwise would not have been created. Were I not able to successfully endure, I would absolutely make full use of available medications, and I would feel sincere in my use of those medications.

I think the reverse of your statement, soberlicious, is also true in our western society -- all too often medications have a stigma and guilt-by-association for those who obviously are benefited by the use of medications. These people are no less than those who meditate their way out of similar challenges. I'm sure you agree here too.

There are no easy answers. You've spoken well, I feel. I too appreciate we did not debate this, nor our we required to have a debate. Thank you, soberlicious. Awesome!