Thread: Waffling
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Florence

So, I kicked my AH out last week and he moved back into his parents' after his weekend-long "relapse vacation." His dad called me today at lunch, for the first time asking for more information about alcoholism and recovery resources so he could figure out what they're dealing with. For the first time, he seemed to listen to me when I said that rushing in to save my AH was probably the worst thing we could do for him. He also shared some of my AH's addiction problems (and their enabling problems) going back to his high school years.

Mini-vent: I've been asking for support in so many words for 2+ years, including suggesting to them that AH *may* have a drinking problem five or so years ago, and got shut down. They've been doing the prodigal son routine with him for twenty years up to this last relapse. Now that it's their problem, they snap to attention.

It's just... interesting. On the one hand, it's very annoying. Now you want to pay attention?

On the other hand, it feels very far away from me right now.

While I'm a little anxious about MY future, it's a relief that this isn't my crisis this time.

I can't get over how relieved I feel, and how happy I am regardless of the circumstances, especially considering that my AH was sober for the last ten-plus months. I really was waiting for the other shoe to drop all the time, and now that tension is gone. The shoe dropped, I was ready, I knew what to do, and now it's not my crisis. Holy ****.