View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zanzibar

suicide prevention

Today the Army is having a day of suicide prevention and recognition training. I think this is good start at least although I'd like to see it as an annual event in the regular training cycle. The last day of this training was in 2009. This problem is running rampid almost completely unchecked and 2012 is shaping up to being the worst year yet. Many are still cautious in coming forward leaving the only line of defence up to their friends, family, and fellow soldiers, but only if they have the knowledge to recognize the signs. A lot of money is spent on prevention of loss of life in theatre and in my view more has to be spent to prevent loss of life after theatre as well. This was a problem before the current theatres as well but never attracted the attention is does in present times. It's true that many casualties displayed absolutly no signs of what was building in them but if only a couple are head off then I think it was worth it. This is a subject that is very close to my heart and thaught I would share it. I owe my life to someone recognizing my symptoms. If this training is ever offered to you please take it but remember that if you ever feel you failed someone then at least you tried and know you did everything in your power. Thanks for putting up with me.