View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
liv1ce

Denial is not just a river in Egypt is a saying I have carried with me for a long time. Denial is powerful and it shields us from the truth. Realizing that and seeing it for what it is has shown me a certain clarity in viewing my own thoughts and actions. I certainly do not know you personally and can only see your words and not hear your expression or see you face so all this is open to personal interpretation but there does seem to be a pattern. You are obviously worried that you are alcoholic. The fact that you are here shows that. The fact that you are seeking proof that you are not shows that. You took a survey that probably functioned as a test to prove you are not. You have looked at your life and viewed your relative successes as proof as well.

Recently there was a really interesting thread here that asked how many of us thought we were "high functioning alcoholics" before finally trying to change. Not only were there some really interesting stories but a demonstration of the fact that seemingly all of us had convinced ourselves that we were doing just fine - thank you very much.

As much as you would like it to be your story is not unique. It looks very much like where many of us started on the road to hell.