View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

Hello Euchella,

I was raised where you live.

I suggest a very potent book, "Getting Them Sober" by Toby Rice Drews. It is about the reality of what we cannot control about the alcoholic and has a lot of good advice for taking care of ourselves in an alcoholic marriage.

I was married many years ago to an alcoholic who could white-knuckle it for two or three months but always picked up a drink again and lost complete control. This is the definition of alcoholism: the loss of control. Craving, obsession, the first drink, complete loss of control.

The first year of sobriety for an alcoholic is a very volatile time, very volatile. And statistically your husband is more likely to relapse again than to stay sober. He might stay sober. But the odds are more likely he will not.

If you move back in, according to your plan, if he drinks and acts out in every possible alcoholic way, you plan to stay. You will not budge from the bed even if he's drunk and stinking and pissing. You will not budge from the house, even if he's drunk out of his mind, angry, crazy, and flat on his face. You will stay come hell or high water no matter how drunk he is.

So do you plan to move him out somehow? Why were you the one who left three months ago?

My point is, you need a legal plan. Not a game plan for out-thinking or outdoing his drinking (you will always lose). A legal plan.

My advice is that before you ever set foot back in the house, you see an attorney and get all the advice you need regarding legal separation and divorce.

You may never have to use that advice. But to step back onto the rollercoaster without it would not serve you well at all.

And I hope you will find that book I mentioned.

Welcome to SR.