View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post

I do have a very negative thought that keeps sneaking into my conscious thinking and it says, "Well, knowing him he'll give AA a try for a few months and then decide he doesn't need it anymore and that he'll now be able to stay sober on his own, quit AA, and we'll be right back to square one again." Is that bad of me to think this way or more realistic? I don't know, but it kept me up all night. Obviously, actions will speak louder than words.
The Las Vegas odds would be a sure thing that this is exactly what will happen... in my XA's case this ALWAYS happened! Periods of dedicated, serious, authentic recovery... backsliding, building up to use(BUD), drink, crisis after crisis, detox, rehab, serious dedicated AA, backsliding, BUD, drink, crisis, detox, rehab, serious AA, and on and on and on... this went on for years.

It would still be going on... but I got into recovery and learn to set boundaries and he chose alcohol... again.

Soooooo... the best thing is to have plan a, plan b and plan c. Whatever happens you are in healthy detached recovery and will be able to move on....

I hope yours is the exception to the rule but it is way early in the game to feel bad about not hopping back in the frying pan.