View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Avra View Post
I keep thinking about drinking and having some remorse about never being able to do it again. I keep catching myself thinking thats what I want... How can one truly seperate it out and crystallize that?
Forget about "can" or "can't", as in "I can't drink," because it isn't true (you can probably drink more than other people, most of whom have far less practice), it isn't effective in deterring the Beast, and because that sort of thinking will also lead to this remorse you speak of. You can do whatever you want in this life pertaining drinking, and the important thing is "will" or "will not".

Decide once and for all what it is that you will or will not do in this life regarding drinking/using. Once you decide that you will not drink again, attribute any thoughts of missing the stuff, mourning the stuff, wanting the stuff, etc., to your Beast. Do not let your AV wield the pronoun "I" around, because that belongs to you. If you hear "I miss drinking, I want a drink," change that to "It misses drinking, and it wants a drink, but I don't drink."

If you haven't done so, I recommend that you read the book, Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey, and the you read through the AVRT discussion threads on this forum.

AVRT Discussion Threads on Sober Recovery