View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
keepingmyjoy1

I am glad that he seems to be starting a path to recovery for himself. In my situation, my AH got to the same place as that when I told him we were separating. And after all the years of saying why AA was not for him etc, he started to go to 2 or 3 meetings a day after work. He is still going. He got his 30 day coin about a week a go. I moved out anyway because the wreckage was just too great and I have "been there and done that" with his talking about quitting drinking. I needed to leave to have the space to heal for myself and son, because even though he stopped drinking, it was still all about him and his path in AA and not drinking. Still no room to heal. I am not saying it was bad, but I could not trust it anyway at that point. Still don't really. But I do hope and pray for the best for him.

What I can say is that this time seems to be different with his stopping drinking. In regard to what you can expect? One thing I can tell you--listen to your gut. Believe your gut. I have gone through this cycle so many times in all the years with my AH. My gut told me in all the other times that he really did not totally quit. If I had only listened to my gut, things would be way different now. But, that's the past.

And, now that he appears to really be working the program (?), he is quite different. He is calm, reasonable, more quiet and reflective. He is actively trying to help his fellow AA members with service work, gives some rides to the meetings etc. I really don't recognize him much. He is like a quieter version of the Dr. Jeckyl I knew. But for myself, I keep waiting for Mr. Hyde to come out. I don't trust it, even though I really feel in my gut that he is really trying, for real, this time, and for the first time. But I have healing to do, and he has his healing to do. So, just focus on you, on your son, and just let him do his thing. Time will tell where it will all lead. Hugs and prayers for you all.