View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Jakkolantern

Rather than another long reply, let me say that the reason I might seem defensive is that I dislike participating in forums where one must massage every word in their posts to conform to an exact specification. That is not the nature of a conversation.

In this case, people are looking for any little hint of deviance to jump on the post and declare AV revealed. I understand nuance in expression is the nature of the beast, in this case, but it goes too far in the forum. For instance, I used the inoccuous colloquialism "as long as it works".

First one attacks "it works", inferring I mean that something else besides me does the work, which is in fact misinterpreting the meaning (explained above).

Then it's "what do you mean by 'as long'", when it's clear that I'm not indicating a timeline, but using "as long as" in the age old manner of implying a predicate to acceptance, and not an ongoing thing. For instance, "You can have ice cream as long as you brush your teeth afterward."

This is what I meant by pedantic. It deflates discussion and discourages participation. It also invalidly reaffirms the AV when it's actually not involved at the time.

I wish nobody harm, but this whole chain of thought reminds me heavily of AA, just rebadged. At this stage it feels like a religion. And it absolutely reeks of confirmation bias.

Well, Jakk, we clearly have alot between us philosophically to at best agree that we don't agree, hahaha. No problemo.
No problem at all either.

I'm happy to leave it here, although I certainly will read any replies. Both sides have had their say.

I'm sure we agree on more than we disagree.