View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post
There are "conversations" in the book that clearly never happened... I think a lot of the ideas are not compiled so much as fabricated.
The author states on page 19 of Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction:

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey, RR:TNC, Pg 19
The conversations presented in this book are composites of actual dialogue; nothing has been embellished or invented.
Trimpey has decades of experience dealing with addicted people, and therefore lots of source material at his disposal. I have watched some of his taped AVRT sessions, and the dialogue presented in the book does match his style.

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post
But that doesn't concern me as long as it works.
AVRT is not something that 'works', it is something that you do, by looking at your hands, and realizing that the desire to drink can't move your hands and actually pour whiskey down your throat. The whole point of AVRT is that absolutely no one but yourself made the decision to drink, and that absolutely no one but yourself will keep you sober. AVRT is not treatment, where certain things are presumed to 'work' and keep people sober. AVRT is an alternative to treatment, and in the context of AVRT, nothing 'works' except you.