View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Jakkolantern

I'm thinking your AV is sometimes happily disguised as your bullcrap detector...
It might masquerade as such, but my detector has been honed over decades. I'm a skeptic in spades.

any doubts experienced are in fact AV
I'm sorry, we're widely divergent on this one. That's much to much a blanket statement for me to find it acceptable. It verges on the religion of AA, and I cannot and will not obviate my critical thinking to what is clearly another version of a "higher power". i.e. Immediately casting any doubt as AV because the author said so.

The skill needed is identifying what doubts are, in fact, grounded in AV, and which are doubts because the argument has an aspect that is identifiably shaky or false. A less analytical person might be able to adhere to your premise, but I'm incapable of doing so.

I should note, though, that this in no way prevents implementation of the plan in its entirety. I recognize that treating all doubts as AV first, subject to revision, is perfectly valid. Nothing is perfect, and I recognize that the Rational Recovery book is decidedly not perfect. That doesn't mean I reject the mechanisms in any way.

The big plan - "I will never drink again" - violates nothing. It's fine.