View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rubysoho

I think I've taken a step back :-(

Hi guys. I was wondering whether you would be able to help. I’m 27 and a half days sober. Hope to make day 28, but I’m not hopeful that I’ll reach the month mark. The thing is for the last week and a half or so I’ve become really depressed and have been thinking about whether the whole thing is worth it. I’m regularly attending AA meetings and have a sponsor and am currently doing step 1.
I’m back at work after a 2 week detox and I’m struggling to cope. I can get up and physically get to work, but the smallest things set me off and I am getting very angry. I’m worried that I’m going to snap while I’m at work. Also, part of my job involves events, which includes things like ordering alcohol and attending events that have free alcohol. I’ve spoken to my boss who has sympathised but neither of us can think of a good solution to this issue. Also because I’m also addicted to painkillers I’ve found small things like having a headache a huge deal. This is unfortunate because I’m getting a lot of stress headaches. Normal painkillers in a normal dose don’t do anything for me, because I’ve been abusing codeine for so long.
I’m just feeling overwhelmed and I’m worried about relapsing. I don’t want to go on anti-depressants, because in my mind, I’ll just be taking another drug to change the way I feel. Also I have a habit of abusing prescription medication, so it isn’t a good idea.
I live in the UK, is there anything that I can do. Do you think getting signed off for work will help, or will just prolong my return to normality?
I don’t know what to do. I feel like I’ve taken a step back in my recovery. If anyone can help I’ll be very grateful.
Thanks!