Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Someguy23

Originally Posted by AngryGuy
I was trying and trying to make this calculus stuff work in my brain, but it just wasn't. I thought, "Oh my god. I sacrificed it all, and I can't even do this. I've never had this happen before."

I had never encountered something that I couldn't do, and it was devastating. That's when I went and bought a 16oz beer.

Well, I figured it out later that night, and since then I haven't had any issues. But when it happens again, I'll be more prepared.
I'm glad you figured it out. Beer doesn't help with that.

I'm going to give you a heads-up though: there is such a thing as hitting an intellectual wall, and the further you take your education the higher the chance you'll reach it.

I've had that experience twice: once in a basic (2nd year undergrad) physics class which convinced me that physics was something I should forget about, once in a special topics math class.

It's not just struggling or getting a bad grade, I actually got a good grade in the math one, it's realizing that you'll never truly understand the subject matter no matter how hard you try. I don't think you need to worry about it yet, no one has ever hit a wall in a calculus class, but just be forewarned that it can happen...

Best of luck with your studies.