Thread: Acceptance
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BlueSkies1

Think of the serenity prayer as it is called in AA. Accepting what you cannot control, and using your power where you actually have some.
For me, it was about the title of the prayer. SERENITY.
So for you, the answer you need is--can you find serenity within yourself and still stay in your marriage?
For me, I couldn't find that serenity living with an active alcoholic. Damn I tried, but I was horribly unsuccessful. I knew his potential, (from watching him when he was sober and ON the mark and beautiful as a person) and I fell in love with that potential. Watching him be less than he could be, was unacceptable. I can't watch him destroy himself. That was too painful. I left, knowing it puts the pressure on him, to either find a new wife, or do something about the elephant in the room.
Either way, I have to find my own path, the path to pursuing joy in life. I've come to the conclusion there is no other path. It's hard to separate that with a marriage pact, I know...but we are still individuals even when married, and have that responsibility to ourselves to seek and find balance and serenity.
I think it's spiritual yes. I also think it is a practical skill. Thinking rationally, and feeling emotions...there's really no separating them in life, they mature together.