View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LaVallette
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Not to do with spirituality, but hard science, physics, in fact, are some quotes by the great astronomer Carl Sagan, from his 1980 series "Cosmos."
“The cosmos is also within us, we’re made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
For as long as there been humans we have searched for our place in the cosmos. Where are we? Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a hum-drum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. This perspective is a courageous continuation of our penchant for constructing and testing mental models of the skies; the Sun as a red-hot stone, the stars as a celestial flame, the Galaxy as the backbone of night.
Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.

And my favourite: “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Reading Sagan has helped an atheistic friend of mine immensely in getting a Higher Power of his own understanding...the Cosmos itself. One last quote from our friend: “Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

All my best for your sobriety and quitting the death-sticks.