Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

Welcome to SR and the secular threads, SDLY.

Powerlessness is a concept that works wonders for many. It wasn't for me. As you've already discovered, there are other options. Good options.

I'm not familiar enough with SMART to contrast it with AVRT. I'm sure someone else will take a stab at it.

I will say that the mindsets—the ways addiction and recovery are viewed—seem very similar to me. I often find myself nodding along with the observations of OnlyTheTruth and other SMARTies. (Did I just coin a new term?) I think quite a few people have comfortably merged elements of SMART and AVRT.

If fellowship is what you're after, SMART could be a great choice. AVRT doesn't include a fellowship component; if anything, it eyes meetings with a bit of caution. The idea that one needs meetings—that continued abstinence depends on it—would be considered a form of AV under AVRT.

That said, we're social animals. Addiction is a fascinating topic. And I find talking through the concepts very helpful. Not necessary, to my AVRT way of thinking, but definitely helpful.

One of our members, RobbyRobot, has successfully combined AA step work with a deep understanding of AVRT. But honestly, I don't know how he pulls that off. Seems like his head should just explode, then collapse into a black hole...