View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jadebambirose

Unhappy New girl -- Alcohol abuse and blackouts

Hi everyone,

I'm a 23 year old female who has been drinking regularly (parties, weekends, etc) since I was about 14 years old. Growing up as a teenager, I never really had too much of a problem with alcohol until about 3 years ago when I started having frequent blackouts.
Now, it seems everytime I drink normal amounts I've been drinking since I was younger, it is almost a guaranteed blackout. They come with no warning, and they are gradually getting worse. People around me have told me that I literally look and act like a zombie; I'm concsious, eyes open, but basically "no ones home" type deal. I can still walk around and talk but I don't remember a thing and my behavior is really spooky. I've heard the word "posessed" unfortunately (lol)

Its weird to me because before the blackout, I won't even feel really drunk (or drunk how I used to). It just hits out of nowhere after a certain point of drinks (the number of drinks always changes). I've switched from hard liquor to beer and it hasn't changed.

I do realize I have a problem with alcohol. What I want to know is why this would possibly occur.. People around me have told me they have never seen a blackout like mine before. I also never really get sick (throw up) when I'm at that point so to me, it seems worse because I never get the alcohol out of my system and get a chance to sober up.

It might sound silly but I'm wondering if I may have a slight brain damage somehow due to the alcohol.. Or maybe the fact that I do have a history of using drugs recreationally (cocaine, ecstacy) might have something to do with it ? (I've stopped using drugs for about a year or so.) I drink around the same amount I have since I was younger.

If anybody could offer any type of answer, advice or personal experience, that'd be great.

Thanks