View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
dancingnow

There were many times I felt marriage counseling was not going to do anything to help my marriage but every time I went I got something out of it, even if only to make me more aware and sometimes even accepting of the reality.

It sounds like you came out of your session with more clarity, even though it might not be what you want to see.

It's funny but now that my AH is not drinking we are taking a break from marriage counseling. What I think it did for me was help me communicate a little better, be better at setting boundaries and focus on taking better care of myself.

It may have done same for my RAH and so there is a better dynamic between us when he is not drinking. Lately, I have come to suspect that he is having some trouble abstaining and the counseling has helped me better step away from making this into a blow up. (LOL not expecting any "I told you so", just know I am married to an alcoholic who is doing "his" best at recovery.)

I have come to understand that our marriage is light years away from ever being what I dreamed it was or should be. Right now I am taking one step at a time to decide what my future will look like.

(((HUGS)))