Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

Originally Posted by Dalek
If you leave it open ended, without a deadline, your AV is just going to keep telling you to put off deciding forever.
Man, I so agree with you Dalek. I know you're right.

But I also totally get what Obladi is saying about being on firmer ground in recovery. I initially did it one day at a time, because I didn't know better. Pretty quickly I began to just sort of intuitively disassociate from my feelings. I hadn't even heard of AVRT at that point, much less the Big Plan. For many weeks, "never again" was more of a hope or ideal for me than a solid commitment. I tiptoed up to it.

But I didn't have the benefit of these discussions back then, of searing insights like this:

Originally Posted by soberlicious
It's the moment in the wrestling match (active addiction) when I made up my mind and flipped that b*tch (the beast). Once on top it's a matter of holding out for a short period until the beast taps out.
That right there, Obladi, is why I would love to see you to commit sooner rather than later. Because it makes this all so much easier. Commit is a crappy word. It makes it sound like you're being asked to take monastic vows. When I finally embraced the idea of never, I freed myself. "Never" only looks scary when you're on that side of it.

This is what it was like for me to commit to never drinking again: