View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BarelyHere

I am still with him, for now. I learned of his addiction Dec 2010. He stopped using & I stayed. He then substituted alcohol, and was a raging alcoholic until he went to AA in May 2011. So he was alcohol free for one year in May 2012. But I found out in July 2012, that he had relapsed with pills for 4 months. So he had 13 mos. free from pills & he is not drinking. When he told me about the relapse, I asked him to move downstairs to the basement. He has been pill free now for 6 wks. He is working his program hard.
I chose the physical separation because he isn't using & our last child of 4, is in his senior year of high school. I knew a relapse was a very real possibility, but I just felt we needed some space to work on our separate issues.
If he was using, one of us would be gone. I won't live that way & won't let my child live that way. My husband was the child of two addicts. His father a high functioning alcoholic. His mother an alcoholic & an addict. No one ever confronted either of them, they enabled each other, & both died in their 50's.
You must do what you say you are going to do & only worry about what is best for you & your child.