Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SeekingGrowth

Becron, I agree with everyone who has said that you can't go back to living with an active addict who uses your DOC after rehab and expect to stay clean. It's just not going to happen. It's hard enough to stay clean without that added trigger. Even if he wasn't using, going back to the same house and the same life, with all the same stresses, would make staying clean a serious challenge. Even without him using, you will need meetings and SR and other, healthy ways to "shake things up" in order to distract yourself from the Addict whispering in your ear, telling you just one more time won't hurt.

You have only a couple more days before you go into rehab. Not really a reasonable amount of time to decide to walk away from a 13-year relationship. So don't make such an "all or nothing" decision right now. Instead, decide that you will temporarily stay at your parents' house for awhile after rehab, to get your bearings, change your environment, and assess whether your husband is still using. And then you can take your time deciding the best course of action at that point.

You are about to embark on a big new venture, and I know entering rehab can be scary (although as I said before, you'll find it to be a whole lot less scary that you think and actually really great and rewarding). Don't try make any big, emotionally disruptive decisions about your marriage right now. Just make a temporary decision - to stay with your parents for awhile after rehab while you get your feet set solidly into a recovery program and take your time to make a considered decision about your marriage.