View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
outonalimb

MadeOfGlass...
I also want to thank you for your thread. It rings so true with me.

I struggled for YEARS with 'the decision'. I tortured myself. I sought counseling. I spoke with our parish priest. I talked to concerned friends and family. I went to Al Anon. I prayed. I struggled. I examined and re-examined the situation.

What it all boiled down to...for me...was that my exah and I just wanted different things out of life. We were on the same page when we fell in love and got married. But gradually, over the years, I wanted peace and serenity and he wanted to continue drinking and drugging.

Yes, addiction contributed to the ever-widening gulf between us. But my decision to finally file for divorce wasn't rooted in his addiction. It was rooted in the fact that I just wanted something different from my life. I didn't want to be a passenger on his addiction-train...watching and waiting to see when it would come to a stop. I wanted to leave him to live his life however he saw fit and I wanted to live mine the same way.

Who was I to dictate what he had to do in order to 'save' our marriage?
How egotistical of me.

I thank my HP every day for my peaceful life.
Yep...I lost alot of material things along the way...but none of those things matter.
My son is happy. He's doing really well. And so am I.
My exah? Not so much...(at least as I see things) but hey, it's his life to live as he sees fit. Who am I to judge? Really.

Great thread.
REally great.