View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
AlaskaGirl

When I googled "Addictive Voice Recognition Technique" it brought me to a Rational Recovery website and a page that gave me a "crash course on AVRT". The first thing that really clicked for me was a diagram of our brain. It shows the parts of the brain that are controled by our rational thinking (The Human Brain) vs. the part of the brain that is driven by nothing but the desire for survival and pleasure (The Beast Brain).

That is when it started making sense for me. There is a part of my brain that only wants what feels good, no matter what the cost. As a matter of fact, it doesn't realize that there is a cost, it just wants to feel pleasure. That is when I started thinking of my "Beast" as demanding toddler. A baby doesn't rationalize what is good or bad for it, it just wants what it wants.

Being able to identify that the AV in my head was coming from a part of my brain that wasn't capable of making rational decisions helped me understand why my cravings were so strong despite my desire to not drink. Being able to separate my rational brain from my toddler brain lets me look at my cravings with the same tolerance I would a two year old throwing themselves on the floor and kicking and screaming.

The kicking and screaming sucks, but if I give into it that spoiled baby is just going to get more unmanagable by the day. Better to pick it up, put it in its room, and shut the door. It's still there throwing a fit, but eventually it will realize I'm not going to give in to it. The more I stand my ground, the fewer fits it will throw.

I haven't read enough to be any kind of authority on AVRT, I just wanted to share my experience because it worked so quickly for me. I am no longer doing battle with my rational self, and it feels really good.