Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cateyt

Cutting of ties with a bad group of friends?

I am new to the forum, and came across this forum when googling my question. I am 20 years old and I am not an alcoholic but a binge drinker. I will drink on Friday or Saturday. Sometimes Friday and Saturday and consume large amounts of alcohol with my group of friends.
I am currently out of work and have been for six months. I am finding it hard to gather a routine and have found myself becoming very bored and boring. I will normally go round a friends house at the weekend and drink a lot just due to the fact there is nothing to do and drinking provides some form of entertainment.
I want to turn my life around and stop binge drinking and only drink very little on special occasions. I want to also start eating healthy and to have a good job and hobbies and for my life not to revolve around getting drunk on the weekend. I have found my hangovers have been becoming unbearable and I will vomit the next day causing friction with my family as they have had to pick me up from friends houses when I have been ill the next day after drinking.
I am finding it hard to do this due to the group of friends I drink with which consist of my good friend, her boyfriend, her boyfriend's brother and his friend. They drink a lot and would most likely be considered alcoholics. They drink daily and will wake up and drink. They also smoke cannabis daily and on drinking sessions will have quite a bit of cocaine which I will sometimes participate in when I am drunk. Whenever I tell them I am not going to get drunk or do any drugs with them they seem to laugh and doubt me and then talk me into doing it. I then regret my actions and cringe the next day to the point where I am so paranoid about what I have said and done. In the past when I have been drinking I have acted fairly promisicious and really regreted it as it is just not who I am. My friends boyfriend is abusive verbally to my friend and it is quite uncomfortable to be around them at times, and I think I drink quite fast due to trying to put up with it. I don't do anything with them that doesn't involved drinking, so I think my best option is to cut them off. But I have no idea how, where to start and if I will be able to. My will power is not strong and I always seem to start something without seeing it through.
I would really like to have a go at giving up drinking as I am tired of drink changing the person I am, making me act promisicous and ruining my jobs. I just don't know where to start and how to cut ties with my group of friends. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks