View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
melberholtz

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
I still have not quit. I went back to read your other threads and I see myself (as I am sure many others do) in your words. I do not want to put any uneccesary pressure on you but I have to tell you seeing that you have made it three weeks gives me so much hope.

I have no right to say that I am proud of you when I have not been able to do it myself but ---"I am so proud of you!"
I really appreciate this. I did the same thing, and for a long time. By that I mean, reading other people's posts and seeing myself. It took me a long time to get to the point I was at. Drinking copious amounts of alcohol, in any form I could get my hands on, I might add. It also took me a LONG time to realize (1) how bad the problem was, and (2) how I needed to re-characterize my relationship with alcohol. Another thing I did, and one that sticks with me every day is to put myself in the shoes of the ones I love. I spend a lot of time reading on the Friends and Family of Alcoholics section and that is one place I see myself (hopefully my old self). Looking at it over the last three weeks has made me feel so bad about some of the crap I pulled while under the influence, and that has strengthened my resolve to stay sober. Friends drinking, work events, nothing will pull me into that relm where I will treat the ones I love like that again.

Keep chugging along and I will do the same. You have the intention. You have put out the thought to quit drinking. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get traction, but when it does, hold on, because you are on for a great ride. Take care!