Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AquaObsession

Please help me--is my boyfriend a lucky alcoholic?

My boyfriend does not drink. In the past, I asked him why he does not drink and be avoided answering. It's an issue because I want to have him to drink with for fun; I have no alcohol problems. And I knew from stories, pictures and his friends that he drank heavily in college, from which he graduated only one months ago. I couldn't understand why he would not explain his sudden distaste. Finally, he told me the other night that he has not had much to drink since his sophomore year, when he was forced to stop because his life fell apart and his family stopped talking to him, all because for the first year and a half of college he drank heavily almost every day, stole thousands of dollars from his parents to go drinking in downtown Miami over and over, lied to his parents and sisters with whom he lived daily about everything to hide the drinking, skipped almost all his classes because of hangovers, and ended up with a 1.1 GPA. Finally his family looked at his school records and bank statements, and the truth came out. They yelled, cursed, and then refused to speak with him for months. So he decided not to drink again, and since then has had a max of like three in one sitting. Any time he drinks now, he said, he's full of feelings of shame and guilt and so he stops. But now he wants to start drinking again. He says it's not healthy to have that association of a terrible time in his life with drinking. But it worries me. I'm afraid if he starts drinking again and gets rid of those feelings it could turn out that alcohol turns him into that person, and he lucked out since everything went bad so fast for him before. Do you all think he could be an alcoholic who lucked out since he quit so quickly? Or is he a regular guy in regard to alcohol who lost it, grew up and now it would be fine for him to drink? I don't want to tell him not to try drinking again. I dont want to tell him what to do. But I don't want him to do something that could really hurt him, either.