View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
purpleperson

I agree with the wisdom here. I don't think that people without alcoholic tendencies have to make a plan/program for their drinking. They just drink when they want, stop when they want and don't think too much about it. Based on my own experience and the experience of others here, if you have a problem you might be able to stick to a plan for a while, but it will be very irritating (a drink or two will make you want more and more) and may eventually fail (if you're mainly doing this for your wife, what if she goes out of town? what if you are away on business? Will you be able to stick to it?).

I promised my BF that I would make such a plan and like others I was irritated and resentful, snuck extra whenever I could (i.e. "sure I am only having 2 vodka cokes..." but each one was 2/3 vodka) and would leave the plan when he wasn't around.

In the end it was no good for me to drink only a few because it just led to trouble. So, no more for me.

Good Luck! It sounds like you love your wife and your marriage. Please think of this as a huge opportunity to prevent possibly irrepairably harming it in the future.