Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I'm either a drinker, or I'm not. There's no middle ground, no fuzzy edges. A thought either supports drinking, or it doesn't. It either comes from my addiction, or it comes from me. Right or wrong. Black or white. Gray areas are just another form of AV.
This is a piercing insight. The Beast itself lives in a black and white world, and it will be quite happy with gray, because to the Beast, gray is just another form of black. Even if you are 99.99999% confident that you will never drink or use again, the Beast will still think "YES!!! Halleluyah!!! There is hope!!! I'm in!!!"

From the on, the Beast will build on that 0.00001% hole, chipping away to make it bigger. The AVRT crash course mentions a hypothetical plan for drinking again in 200 years, which the Beast will love. It won't complain at all, because it knows that time is on its side, and all it has to do is start chipping away and shorten that time frame.

AVRT simply mirrors the logic of the Beast, and we think like the Beast itself in order to beat it at its own game.

Originally Posted by RR:TNC, Pg. 134
In the logic of AVRT, the absence of a plan to quit for good is a plan, now, to drink.