View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bbthumper

Originally Posted by Irrelevant View Post
Thank you all for the support.

For some reason I still cannot get over how upset I am with myself. The thought that I may never be able to responsibly drink, to have a beer with a buddy after work or at a sport's game, to have a glass of wine at dinner or at a wedding, seems to bother me the most for some reason. I am so pissed at myself. I don't blame anyone or anything for what has happened besides myself. I feel like there is something wrong with who I am and I guess the thing that really scares me is that abstaining from alcohol my entire life only fixes the consequences not my inherent flaw.

I feel lesser of a person for even being an alcoholic in the first place, upset that a few stupid decisions have lead me potentially to a point of no return. Even if I never had another drop of alcohol in my life, it wouldn't change the fact I will always be an alcoholic. I never asked to be an alcoholic. I don't want to be an alcoholic. Hell I don't even have a good reason as to why I am one.

I'm just so confused. This problem has hit me like a ton of bricks. I feel as if I am doomed forever, regardless of my actions.

-Irrelevant
Alcoholism is not a behavioral issue. No sense in beating yourself up if you are an alcoholic. Its like a diabetic beating themselves up for their condition. No one chooses to become an alcoholic.

I know the way you are feeling. I had a really hard time at 25 accepting that my drinking days were done. But I am now living a life beyond anything I could have planned for myself. AA has done so much more for me than solving my drink problem. It has shown me how to be more content with my life than I ever have been.

Your best years lay ahead of you if you take the actions necessary to recover.