View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
septemberlass

Irrelevant, I wish you luck. I wish you so much more happiness than I'll ever be able to find, myself. And I agree with others that it is absolutely amazing and awesome that you have discovered this problem so early on. "Lowering the bottom" is what I often hear at meetings--in other words, preventing youngsters from the decades or so of hell we experienced ourselves (I won't speak to the blatant text contradiction of absolutely needing to hit bottom to recover, but not needing to, as we can conviently lower it for others).

But, I will say this, I think we are all doomed. All of us born with this malfunctioning chip in our heads. Whether we die in the gutter with a bloated liver and no loved ones, or 'white-knuckling' it for the rest of our lives without a program, or making meetings in church basements a mandatory part of your existence for the rest of your entire freaking life so that you dare not drink, and will always be reminded of your disease. Well, let's face it--all options suck.

You will either join the carefree crowds enjoying a drink on the patio, knowing to do so will cause you and others pain. Or you will dutifully walk by them, wanting to join in but knowing you cannot, because to do so will cause you and others pain.