View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

My husband and I used to attend a particular golf-swim-tennis club before he died. People there were well aware of my profession and my caring nature---so, I was continually bombarded by people (usually with drink in hand) who wanted to unload their physical and emotional problems on me. Often asking for my "advice" or to make referrals. This caused me to feel very "used" and interfered with my friendships with them.

I then established a new boundry and it worked beautifully! I would say to them in my most empathetic voice that "I learned a long time ago that most people who ask for advice don't want it, anway. What they want most is to talk and be "seen". So, I don't give advice/professional opinion anymore. And, I never give advice to anyone in the presence of alcohol--cause they don't remember it or don't heed it the next day"

If I do sense that the request is really sincere and urgent---I ask them to call me the next morning and I will see what I can do to help. Example: Girlfriend approached me and whispered that she thinks she found a "lump in her breast"---she was also on her 2nd or 3rd. drink. I hugged her and said, why don't you stop by the house in the morning for coffee and we can talk about it? (I knew she would be stone sober in the morning---and if she really was worried , she would show up).

dandylion