View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Paul, what you are writing seems so very clear to me. I get it, I really do.
Like a creature in the dark, it is just telling me, "one more won't hurt", "you'll start tomorrow", "you deserve it", "you don't have to tell anyone".
I know full well that these voices are real compared to the voices I hear when I am all by myself. That sounds a little like I'm a schizo.
I hear the voice of your addiction there, and it sounds exactly like mine. It's very good that you are able to hear that voice clearly, and focus on it, even to be able to write down what it says. This voice knows exactly what to say to you because it can use your character, your intelligence, your experiences, your fears, everything that is you, to do its work on you one more time. That's all it asks, just get me one more drink.

Your voice is the same as mine too in that it has no power. It can't make you make a fist, raise an eyebrow, or go buy some beer. In order for this beast to get drunk again, it needs your permission and action. If you can understand that it has no power of its own, then it follows that all the power resides within you, Paul. Think on this for a bit - you have the power, strength, ability, it is you. You can choose not to drink, you can even choose never to drink.

This choice has to begin with a solemn vow and a real plan to take you where you need to be. There is both nothing more that is needed, and not a single thing less will do. Are you ready to make a plan about using alcohol in the future?