View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bbthumper

Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Hi all,

I have been at this recovery thing for two years now. I have had clean times of 7 months, 6 months, and 7 months. No matter what I always go back to the rooms each time I slip, I don't let myself fall. However, for some reason I just am not "getting it." I have a sponsor, have worked the steps (i realize i need to continue working them), and have made progress. However, each time I get some time under my belt I rest on my laurels and forget to put first things first. I'm tired of being in and out, and I'm tired of the daily struggle. I think that's the hardest thing for me, I hate that it's a daily struggle for me from the moment I wake until the moment my head hits the pillow. I have a massive support circle (sponsor, friends in the program, sponsor) I just am having a hard time believing that I can have a happy life being an addict in recovery. I hate the label, and I hate that it takes daily maintenance. It's exhausting to battle to do the right thing every day. Any ideas on how to make things a little softer or do things in such a way where I keep them simpler? I am not happy just not using, I want to be happy in recovery. Please don't take this paragraph as I haven't accepted my addiction, because I have. In fact, I am just coming off on injury and threw the rest of my pills down the toilet because I don't want them in the house. I didn't get clean to go to meetings and just hang with people in the program. I think life everything in life, you have to have balance. Sincerely, struggling.
I found that once I started to make the program about what I could give rather than what I could get life got a lot more exciting. 12th step work is what keeps me excited about life. Sitting across the table from a newcomer and reading out of the book is truly an amazing experience. Sitting outside a meeting and talking to a brand new drunk who still stinks of booze and is beginning to grasp the concept of the 1st step is like nothing else.
There are certain moments of my life when I can clearly see that I have been used by God as an instrument to help another. Those are the moments i live for.
You say you worked the steps. Maybe it was 12th step work that was lacking? After all, we must give it away to keep it. A cliche, but so true.

Wish you the best. I hope you stick with it.