Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sisterstruggle

Thanks FindingErica. I can't imagine how painful and infuriating it must have been for you to see your sister clean (for two years!) and then return to using. That is just heartbreaking.
In my sister's case, the case worker we were working with told us that one of the big problems with bipolar is that once they are stabilized and sober, they find normal life "boring" and don't want to take their prescribed medicine and often return to using. Compared to the chaos and high of the manic phases (and the highs of the drugs), I guess our lives do seem "boring" to the illogical and addicted mind. But I will take my so-called boring life any day over the destruction of drug abuse.
I think it will get to the point where I do stop watching. Right now I'm not really in contact with her very much. I called and ripped her a new one on the phone two days ago. That was a wake up call to me that a. she is in such denial and b. anything I say makes absolutely no difference. She is still communicating daily with my parents. My mom is a recovered alcoholic (16 years!) so she knows exactly who she is dealing with and is able to handle her so far.
Thanks again for your message, I appreciate it.
xo