Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
MeredithD1
Present

Our meeting went as well as it possibly could. We each (my FIL, my MIL and I) stated the effects his drinking has had on each of us, and I gave a very clear description of what I will do because he has broken his word - I said I'd put the car title back in my name and I am following through with that or else, as Jack Trimpey says, I will weaken my position - and I said my next step after that will be to contact a lawyer and draw up divorce papers.

I also went into detail about my Plan B, which is to move where my dad's family lives, and how I plan on financing that move, with the help of my dad, his wife and my best friend of 35 years. I said I'd had to get into that much detail because it seemed very real to me that I was going to have to take those steps so I made a solid plan to do so.

He wrote in paper, "I will never drink again as long as I live, and I will never change my mind," and signed it "Love," and then his name. He saw The Beast in any effort to slide out from under that.

I feel good, for the first time in a long time, like we've had a breakthrough. He didn't just try to placate us. He gave us all his doubts etc. We talked for a total of five hours. He realized at each hesitation that it was The Beast talking.

We used Jack Trimpey's Zero Tolerance Ultimatum to guide us.

At the end of it, my inlaws stated that on 08/18/13, they would give us the gift of a trip to celebrate his lifelong commitment to never drinking again. The trip involves some very personal things he has wanted to do.

Last edited by Morning Glory; 08-24-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: removed link